Dr. Christian Simensen
Position Senior Scientist
Institute SINTEF Materials & Chemistry
1968: Cand. Real. Degree in Solid State Physics at the University of Oslo
Thesis Title: ‘Precipitation in an Al-6%Zn-2%Mg Alloy’.
1982: Dr.Techn. in Metallurgy at NTH, Trondheim, Norway
Thesis Title: ‘Analysis of Hydrogen and Inclusion in Aluminium and Magnesium Alloys’.
20.9.68-1.1.71: Scientist in metallurgy at SI (Center for Industrial Research), Oslo
1.1.71-31.6.72: Research Fellow at the Department of metallurgy and Materials Science, University of Cambridge, England
1.7.72-1.1.81: Scientist in metallurgy at SI, Oslo.
1.1.81-31.7.83: Project leader at ÅSV Metallurgical R & D-Center, Sunndalsøra,
1.8.83-1.8.88: Senior Scientist at SI, Oslo
1.8.88-1.8.89: Visiting Scientist at Comalco Ltd., Melbourne, Australia
1.9.89-31.12.92 Principal Scientist at SI, Oslo
1.1.93-1.1.95: Principal Scientist at SINTEF Materials Technology, Oslo
1.1.1995-1.5.2012: Senior Scientist at SINTEF, Oslo
Since 1.1. 2013: Consultant at SINTEF Materials & Chemistry, Oslo
Since 1996: External Examiner at the University of Oslo and the University of Trondheim in a series of courses in Metallurgy and Solid State Physics.
2010: Teacher at University of Oslo in Fys3310-Phase transformations
External Examiner of Dr. Ing. candidates at University of Trondheim, and University of Stockholm. External Examiner of a Dr. candidate (Moukrane Dehmas) at
Ecole de Mines, Nancy, France in 2004.
Editor NNF-nytt 1995-2011 (NNF=Norsk Numismatisk Forening)
Main Fields of Competence
- Specialist in TEM, Microprobe and SIMS-analysis
- Development of methods like: (1) the butanol method (separation of intermetallic phases and aluminium matrix)
- (2) hydrogen analysis of aluminium and magnesium alloys
- (3) gaschromatographic analysis of carbides in metals
- (4) centrifuging of molten aluminium and magnesium
- Development of computer programs for melt refining
Member of Norsk Metallurgisk Selskap
Member of Norges Tekniske Vitenskapsakademi
Member of The Metallurgical Society of the American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical, and Petroleum Engineers (TMS)
Publications Christian J. Simensen has 71 scientific publications in physics and metallurgy in books and international journals. He has ca 50 publications in history and numismatic.
TV-Films Christian J. Simensen has participated in 3 films concerning the collapse of the Twin Towers in New York on 11 September 2001. The last film was: Blink Film, England: ‘The Missing Evidence’, shown on Channel 4 (UK), 2 November 2014.
Five of the mentioned publications:
- C. J. Simensen, P. Fartum and A. Andersen: “Analysis of intermetallic Particles in Aluminium by Dissolution of the Sample in Butanol”, Fresenius Z. Anal. Chemie 319 (1984) 286-292
- C. J. Simensen and U. Södervall: “Quantitative analysis of aluminium alloys using SIMS”, Z. Metallkunde 93 (2002) 322-329
- Christian J. Simensen, Francois Hillion, Øyvind Nielsen, Kazuhiro Nogita and Arne K. Dahle: “Analysis of trace elements in Na-modified Al-10 wt%Si using EPMA and NanoSIMS”, Proceedings of the 5th Decennial International Conference on Solidification Processing, Ed:H. Jones, pp 244-248 (2007)
- Christian J. Simensen, Øyvind Nielsen, Francois Hillion and Jorunn Voje: “NanoSIMS analysis of Trace Element Segregation during the Al-Si Eutectic Reaction”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 38A (2007) 1448-1451
- C. J. Simensen: “A theory for the collapse of the World Trade Center”, Engineering Failure Analysis 41 (2014) 39-47